Who We Are

Friday, December 12, 2014

Birding Expert

Greetings to all!  It's me, Maggie!  Sometimes, in the afternoons, Mom likes to jump in the car and go to the lake or just take a little drive to look for birdies.  I'm getting really good at riding in the car, and sometimes (for reasons totally unknown to me) Cammie likes to take a little break for some "alone time", so sometimes I get to go birding with Mom!  I'm learning to stay calm and quiet, not to pull on the leash if we get out of the car, and how to spot "special" birdies.  The other day, for instance, we headed out to go birding ...

IMG_2638MagsCarBirding
My serious "birding" face.  Note how focused I am!

It's important to stay focused and calm.  And to help keep me calm, Mom cranks up the radio on a classic rock station.  I love classic rock:  Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, etc.  Anyway, I spotted a little bluebird:

IMG_9659EasternBluebird
Eastern Bluebird

Mom saw me staring right at him. She's starting to understand that I know my birds ... but sometimes she doubts me.  For example ...

A few days after I spotted the bluebird, we were out again. I signaled that I saw a birdie! Mom looked quickly and said, "Nah, Mags. It's just a crow."  Umm... no.  I did this:

IMG_2818MagsCarBirding
"How could you doubt me, Mom?  Look again!!!"

Seriously. She needs to trust me! Here's what I saw:

IMG_9998Harlan'sRedTailedHawk
Not a crow.

IMG_0011Harlan'sRedTailedHawk
Harlan's Red Tailed Hawk

Did I mention Mom has never seen a Harlan's Red Tail before?  That it was a "first sighting"?  That, if not for me, she would have just blown right past it?

IMG_2823MagsCar
"Who's the expert birder, Mom?"

"Just a crow."  HA roo roo roo.  She'll never say that again!

Yours sincerely,
Margaret Thatcher

12 comments:

  1. Such fun bird spotting and a bit of classic rock never does any harm we say. Looks like you are having the best of times MT. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well done on you bird spotting technique! I luffs that serious 'birding' face, very impressive
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is so lucky to have you to show her the birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you will be a birdie expert in no time

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bird CHASING! BTW, you have excellent taste in music!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your momma both are bird experts.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Maggie...you are getting very good at that birding thing!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you a member of the Audubon Society, you do such a good job
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. She will never doubt you again. Can't believe she even would in the first place. Brother Zim is smiling down on you Mags. He is very proud of that there is no doubt.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job on spotting the hawk, Maggie! We bet you go birding again today with your mom!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Mom's! They just need to listen to us pups, right?

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well DONE, Maggie! She needs to just listen to the experts, you know?

    ReplyDelete